[governance] Rupert Murdoch Says Businesses Should Have A Larger Say in Public Policy

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:20:44 EDT 2014

I wonder where this perception of Rupert Murdoch comes from. Tomorrow Never
Dies, perhaps? Interestingly it was the first movie made after Broccoli's
death.

Business has a right to speak out on public policy matters, even on issues
> not directly related to their area of operation.
> Business is just as entitled to express its opinion as unions are.
> Murdoch said business had a role to play in shaping public policy in a
> democracy.
> If we feel we have a contribution to make to the debate we should do so.
> Certainly my newspapers do so every day and we far from regularly win the
> argument.
> It's very important that, if we live in a democracy, with real
> entrepreneurship, you've got to have a world of ideas to debate.
> Businesses should be involved in shaping public policy
> Governments need to loosen constraints on business.

What is wrong with all this?  This is a position by a powerful businessman
and it is good for the multi-stakeholder model. I view this as a very
positive development and I feel that Rupert Murdoch could pursue this
further and bring together like minded businessmen from every where to
share these views.

(About Governments taking a back seat, I am not sure if he meant government
out of governance. He could not possibly have meant that.)
​

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>

​
<https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>