[governance] Russia demands Internet users show ID to access public Wifi

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sat Aug 9 13:50:31 EDT 2014

Ken, the statement "use of Internet is not a human right" is
disreputable. When we say the Internet is a human right, we mean we
should not restrict anybody from access. But all rights have
limitations, like requiring public wifi users to identify themselves.
But we should not deny anybody access

On 09/08/2014, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs at afilias.info> wrote:
> Let's be frank here...
>
> Use of the Internet is not a human right..
> Countries have the right to enact laws which place certain requirements
> for Internet access.
>
> We can have a discussion on limitations on the requirements, equality of
> access, etc but, like it or not,
> this ability to require identification is a legitimate right of that
> country or domicile.
>
> I see it as no different than, in certain countries (like spain, etc.) ,
> I am required to present a passport
> (even if I pay cash in advance) to secure a hotel room.
>
> In both cases,I am giving up privacy in exchange for something of value.
>
> It is a continuing fact of life in today's times.
>
> Ken Stubbs
>

> On 8/9/2014 8:23 AM, Deirdre Williams wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone else have an opinion on this issue? Norbert and Chaitanya
>> offer very different perspectives.
>> Currently I'm sitting in an airport using public WiFi, but I had to be
>> very well documented to get to this point.
>> Deirdre
>>
>> On 9 Aug 2014 04:46, "Chaitanya Dhareshwar" <chaitanyabd at gmail.com
>> <mailto:chaitanyabd at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't see why this would be a human rights violation (speaking
>>     from India pov) given the fact that:
>>
>>     1. You need to submit ID proof when you take an internet
>>     connection at your residence/office
>>     2. You need to product ID proof while using a cyber cafe
>>
>>     So since this regulatory aspect is already put in place one would
>>     naturally expect that if there's some form of public wifi the
>>     service provider would ask for ID proof...?
>>
>>     Best,
>>
>>     *Chaitanya Dhareshwar*
>>     **
>>     Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/chaitanyabd>| Blog
>>     <http://cbd.vcio.in>| Skype: chaitanyabd
>>     Mobile: +91.9820760253 <tel:%2B91.9820760253>
>>

>>     On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch
>>     <mailto:nb at bollow.ch>> wrote:
>>
>>         Reuters:
>>
>>         Russia demands Internet users show ID to access public Wifi
>>

>> http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/08/us-russia-internet-idUSKBN0G81RV20140808
>>
>>         In my view this is a clear human rights violation and
>>         something that I
>>         would expect us all to be able to agree to condemn.
>>
>>         May I request the IGC coordinators to coordinate some action
>>         in regard
>>         to this matter?
>>
>>         Greetings,
>>         Norbert

>>         To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:
>>         http://www.igcaucus.org/
>>
>>         Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t

>>     To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:
>>     http://www.igcaucus.org/
>>
>>     Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t
>>

> ---
> protection is active.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh

The best athletes never started as the best athletes.
You have to think anyway, so why not think big? - Donald Trump.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky.
Tackle the biggest frog first.
I will persist until I succeed - Og Mandino.