[governance] Russia demands Internet users show ID to access public Wifi

Ken Stubbs kstubbs at afilias.info
Sat Aug 9 09:45:25 EDT 2014

Let's be frank here...

Use of the Internet is not a human right..
Countries have the right to enact laws which place certain requirements
for Internet access.

We can have a discussion on limitations on the requirements, equality of
access, etc but, like it or not,
this ability to require identification is a legitimate right of that
country or domicile.

I see it as no different than, in certain countries (like spain, etc.) ,
I am required to present a passport
(even if I pay cash in advance) to secure a hotel room.

In both cases,I am giving up privacy in exchange for something of value.

It is a continuing fact of life in today's times.

Ken Stubbs

On 8/9/2014 8:23 AM, Deirdre Williams wrote:

> Does anyone else have an opinion on this issue? Norbert and Chaitanya
> offer very different perspectives.
> Currently I'm sitting in an airport using public WiFi, but I had to be
> very well documented to get to this point.
> Deirdre
>
> On 9 Aug 2014 04:46, "Chaitanya Dhareshwar" <chaitanyabd at gmail.com
> <mailto:chaitanyabd at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't see why this would be a human rights violation (speaking
>     from India pov) given the fact that:
>
>     1. You need to submit ID proof when you take an internet
>     connection at your residence/office
>     2. You need to product ID proof while using a cyber cafe
>
>     So since this regulatory aspect is already put in place one would
>     naturally expect that if there's some form of public wifi the
>     service provider would ask for ID proof...?
>
>     Best,
>
>     *Chaitanya Dhareshwar*
>     **
>     Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/chaitanyabd>| Blog
>     <http://cbd.vcio.in>| Skype: chaitanyabd
>     Mobile: +91.9820760253 <tel:%2B91.9820760253>
>

>     On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch
>     <mailto:nb at bollow.ch>> wrote:
>
>         Reuters:
>
>         Russia demands Internet users show ID to access public Wifi
>
>         http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/08/us-russia-internet-idUSKBN0G81RV20140808
>
>         In my view this is a clear human rights violation and
>         something that I
>         would expect us all to be able to agree to condemn.
>
>         May I request the IGC coordinators to coordinate some action
>         in regard
>         to this matter?
>
>         Greetings,
>         Norbert

>         To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:
>         http://www.igcaucus.org/
>
>         Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t

>     To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/
>
>     Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t

---