[governance] FW: Data stored overseas should be accessible to US government, judge rules — RT USA

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Sat Aug 2 07:03:03 EDT 2014

Hi Parminder,

Not sure I can follow your logic yet. I was talking about data privacy, i.e. about the privacy of the content of a person's data and communications, as it referred to a concrete court case. In that case, a US judge is ordering a US company (Microsoft in this case) to hand over data stored in a data center in Europe.

My argument was (and is) that this judge's order infringes upon European data privacy laws and directives. I was also pointing out that the NSA affair has left a certain sour taste in the mouths of many business executives who care about the privacy of their business secrets.

Again, I was referring to the contents of data stored in the cloud and I was alluding to that when I argued that businesses would rather seek non-US based  cloud providers if they want the content of their data kept out of the hands of third parties or at least subject to stricter privacy rules.

Now, please explain how IANA and the DNS root management would follow "the same logic". Is there private data stored in the DNS root? Does IANA provide access to law enforcement about data stored in its cloud?

I guess you are referring to the general feeling of mistrust in the US government when it comes to the management of the DNS root, a feeling we have been discussing since pre-WSIS times. So, what is new? Does the current cloud data content court case shed any fresh light on that decades old struggle? Please enlighten me where you see "the same logic".

Peter H. Hellmonds
<peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu>
+49 (160) 360-2852

On 02.08.2014, at 05:38, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Friday 01 August 2014 08:14 PM, Peter H. Hellmonds wrote:
> No, not a nail in cloud services per se, but just another narrow-sighted decision that will hurt US-based business interests and by extension US public policy interests. It will be just another sign for European companies that they cannot entrust their corporate data to cloud services of companies that are US-based or otherwise subject to US jurisdiction.

By the very same logic, what about entrusting Internet's DNS root to US jurisdiction? Isnt there is a similar problem/ issue with that. I ask because it is the IANA discussion which is the current IG context, and is something people can really do something about. If we really think and speak thus, we should out our political actions where our mouth is.

Friends, please let not be mislead by the nicely orchestrated IANA transition game.  Internet's root cannot stay under US jurisdiction. Especially with hundreds of new gltd coming up, this is just leaving a can of worms unattended. And we as actors who are present when IANA transition is taking place, apparently with the consent of the global community, will be political responsible as the worms begin to crawl out and pose innumerable social and political problems...

We must make a stand for incorporation of ICANN under international law and thereby be given host country immunities for it. This is the single biggest IANA issue, not all those diversionary technical and implementation issues that are continually offered as the real IANA issue - which I consider as deliberately misleading.

parminder