[governance] : what about promoting media and information literacy?

divina.meigs divina.meigs at orange.fr
Sun Apr 27 23:46:08 EDT 2014

Dear all
I appreciate Izumi¹s long range perspective, as an early actor in the
process myself, from the WSIS days. And like him I rejoice in the progress
we, as civil society voices, have made not only in process but also in
access and content provision.

I feel that our lobbying efforts over time and our consistency has started
to bring its fruits to our efforts and it is a good thing that new entrants
are able to contribute as well. The final outcome document does reflect
indeed some of our own input as shaped by years of meetings at the Internet
Governance Forum and we should congratulate all of us for having made our
core issues part of the global debate, beyond conversation.

At this stage, to gain extra momentum and to scale up,  I think that we need
to raise awareness among the ranks of citizens, and particularly among young
people. Technical issues of surveillance cannot be dissociated from social
issues of surveillance ; technical issues of data mining cannot be
dissociated from social issues of data mining; technical issues of coding
and design cannot be dissociated from social issues of coding and designŠ

For me then, digital literacy together with media and information literacy
are crucial and urgent, as part of core 21st century skills. I wish it had
been an  integral part of the discussion at NetMundial as only an informed
citizenry can claim for more social justice and put pressure on  governments
and private sector to push for more diversity, openness and to end
monopolies and unfair practices.

To be fully understood and to move forward, the  internet governance agenda
needs to push for 21st century literacies, beyond the so-called prerogative
of the states in the matter of education that can only lead to more
illectronism. To scale up our actions as civil society, many global
initiatives in 21st century skills need to be supported and sustained. I
invite you to pay attention to the Global Alliance for Partnerships on Media
and Information Literacy, GAPMIL, a joint initiative  that brings together
key stakeholders such as UNESCO, UNAOC, UNICEF, Open Society Foundation and
other partners in international development as well as NGOs and
Universities. It will hold its next meeting in Paris, on 28th of May.

Best
Divina Frau-Meigs
Professor, Sorbonne Nouvelle University
UNESCO  chair « savoir devenir/forwardances in durable digital development »