AW: [governance] : what about promoting media and information literacy?

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Apr 28 06:54:15 EDT 2014

Hi,

good to see that a discussion has start around a more strategic perspective.

To get the real picture (and progress) one should remember not only WSIS ten years ago but also the UN Summit on Human Rights in Vienna 20 years ago. It was in 1993. I was there. It was a big meeting but governments and NGOs were totally separated. NGOs had no access to the main conference rooms (and certainly not to working and drafting groups). Civil society and NGOs had their isolated meetings in the basement of the UN Vienna Conference center. There were two different entrance doors. A checkpoint between the basement and the first floor was like the Berlin Wall where nobody could pass without a governmental badge. At this time we made some jokes about this setting because we argued that we will "undermine" this design by coming "from the bottom".  If you see now, that Nenna gave the most remarkable speech in the opening of Net Mundial and Jeanette and Adam presented the outcome document then you see that change is possible. But more has to be done
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Conference_on_Human_Rights

It is also worth to remember the Cardozo report from 2004. It was mainly ignored by the governments of the UN Member States in the General Assembly and its recommendations are nearly forgotton. But it makes sense to remember this part of the history and to move forward.
http://www.unog.ch/80256EDD006B8954/(httpAssets)/09916F545454357BC1256F5C005D4352/$file/A-58-817.pdf

I fully support Divinas proposal that more young people has to become involved in CS Internet Governance circles. That is their future and they have to develop the skills needed to be effective (and able to find rough consensus) in a multistakeholder environment. And one should not be afraid ig there are different positions within the CS. You have similar (even broader) conflicts among governments and even within the private sector you have a broad range of different approaches (inter alaoa among TNCs and SMEs).

Wolfgang