[governance] stakeholder categories (was Re: NSA sabotage of Internet security standards...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Sep 20 00:30:00 EDT 2013

On Thursday 19 September 2013 10:02 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2013, at 09:44, McTim wrote:
>
>> ..... I can accept either scenario and develop my
>>> thinking and positions over it. However, people can not be arguing one
>>> position when it suits them and the opposite when it so suits. ( I aint
>>> speaking about you.) The biggest problem with multistakeholderism (MSism) is
>>> that it refuses to enter into such clear basic categories
>> We are humans, things get messy.  We can't be sorted into piles neatly.
>
> I  also look for a notion of subsidiarity where each stakeholder group determines its own criteria for participation and representation.

Who decides what and how many of these stakeholder groups would exist
and be considered relevant in the first place, and what proportion of
relevance will be allocated to each .... Why women groups involved with
Internet issues not be a separate stakeholder group, as should be those
with disability,  cultural minorities, LGBT groups, trade unions, and so
on.... Why each of them doesnt get an equal pie in stakeholder
representation bodies, as some *big businesses*, and some Internet
techies get at present. The groups that I mention here are much bigger
than these two groups - big business and Internet techies, and owing to
their marginalisation, much more in need of additional representational
avenues.

However, even to take your point, if indeed so,  on this principle of
subsidiarity, why is then civil society not allowed to determine its own
boundaries, which are clearly relevant to processes of participation and
representation. Why are those who represent other stakeholder groups in
the IG spaces constantly telling civil society  that we mustn't be
excluding and mustn't pigeon-hole people. Especially when we mean no
such thing - we welcome including everyone in our discussions, which are
publicly archived (unlike the case of any of these other groups). But
when it does come to matters of collective decision making,
representation etc, some  of us do raise legitimate issues of conflict
of interest etc.... As per Norbert's stipulations, such conflict of
interest was indeed very narrowly defined - that a person should not be
directly involved as representing commercial or governmental interests,
in_the_same_area_as in which they seek to get involved with civil
society’s core processes. What is wrong with it?

I consider such objections to clarifying civil society's internal
processes as contributing to weakening of civil society in this space -
which indeed is already very very weak because of this precise reason.
It is worst from of double whammy - first use some special forms of
multistakeholderism to erode democratic norms and systems, and then deal
with that one multi-stakeholder space which could still cause some
trouble - civil society, by conveniently declaring it as a
'multistakeholder space' in itself. Brilliant!

parminder