[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 09:28:55 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 27/10/2013, at 6:05 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:
>
> CS is not advocating a single meaningful reform of the existing IG
> environment. That's sad. Others on this list will therefore have to organize
> another sign on letter that actually promotes something specific - hope you
> will help with that effort, David. And anyone else interested, please
> contact me privately.
>

> It's not like that at all.  It's that the more specific you get, the fewer
> endorsements you get.  Consider that the broad and general sign-on statement
> has so far 50 endorsements, whereas the more specific (but still equivocal)
> Best Bits submission to the WGEC got only 19, and my own (much more
> specific) submission to the WGEC got 1 (I didn't even try for more, knowing
> that it was not feasible).
>
> At the Best Bits meeting and during the IGF there was absolutely no time to
> get more concrete proposals agreed, nor was it the right time to do so.
> It was, however, exactly the right time to put out something simple saying
> "We're here, and we expect to be involved".  And even doing that generated
> significant opposition!

How could that generate opposition?  It was poisoning of the well with the
"power grab" meme, combined with physical intimidation of one of our members
by another plus the anti-MS snark that generated opposition.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Unfortunately,
those most eager
to change ICANN oversight are all vinegar and no honey!

--
Cheers,

McTim