[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Oct 27 02:25:05 EDT 2013

On 27/10/2013, at 6:05 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:

> CS is not advocating a single meaningful reform of the existing IG environment. That's sad. Others on this list will therefore have to organize another sign on letter that actually promotes something specific - hope you will help with that effort, David. And anyone else interested, please contact me privately.

It's not like that at all.  It's that the more specific you get, the fewer endorsements you get.  Consider that the broad and general sign-on statement has so far 50 endorsements, whereas the more specific (but still equivocal) Best Bits submission to the WGEC got only 19, and my own (much more specific) submission to the WGEC got 1 (I didn't even try for more, knowing that it was not feasible).

At the Best Bits meeting and during the IGF there was absolutely no time to get more concrete proposals agreed, nor was it the right time to do so.    It was, however, exactly the right time to put out something simple saying "We're here, and we expect to be involved".  And even doing that generated significant opposition!  Some of which you have seen on the list, some you haven't.  You wouldn't believe.

I would like nothing more than to get down to brass tacks and make more specific proposals, which is what we can move onto next.  But coming up with proposals is the easy bit, which a lot of us have already done.  The hard bit is getting a credible network of groups to join you.  Good on you for taking a lead.  If you like, you will be welcome to use the Best Bits infrastructure for this once it is back up.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.