[governance] RE: Thoughts on one description of the "multistakeholder engagement model"

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Thu Oct 24 05:40:06 EDT 2013

John,

I wonder: given that we have plenty of examples of analysis *and*
evaluations of how democratic processes perform, why not have similar
assessments when it comes to MSH processes?

Assuming, of course, we can develop a baseline to benchmark against.

Best,

Andrea

On Thursday, 24 October 2013, John Curran wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2013, at 3:35 PM, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> >       This description of MSism reads very much as if it is equating
> MSism with the IETF model, or perhaps the RIRs. Now, that would be a bad
> mistake on its own - the models of MSism governance in ICANN, various
> ccTLDs, etc are different, and very much not dominated by techies (the
> strength of MS processes in ICANN etc is getting techies, lawyers, pubic
> policy people, business folk in the same room talking directly). But the
> IETF model isn't even clearly a multi-stakeholder one (contributions from
> all stakeholders are welcome in the IETF, but they come as individuals not
> stakeholder representatives).
>
> David -
>
>   Both the RIRs and IETF often have "techies, lawyers, pubic policy
>   people, business folk in the same room talking directly" when
>   necessary... that is not unique in any way to ICANN.
>
>   Regarding multistakeholder models, there are both "open" and
>   "representative" implementations, with different strengths and
>   weaknesses to each.  This came up in one of the IGF sessions
>   today ("No. 41 Developing and effectively using Multistakeholder
>   Principles", by APC & Government of Brazil & ICC BASIS & ISOC),
>   and I'm not certain there is any merit in trying to label one
>   as less multi-stakeholder than the other.
>
> FYI,
> /John
>
> p.s. My views alone. (Luckily, I was selected as the official
>      representative for the constituency of my views; it would
>      have been kinda awkward otherwise... :-)

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro