[governance] Thoughts on one description of the "multistakeholder engagement model"

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Oct 24 05:28:01 EDT 2013

On Oct 24, 2013, at 3:35 PM, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:

> 	This description of MSism reads very much as if it is equating MSism with the IETF model, or perhaps the RIRs. Now, that would be a bad mistake on its own - the models of MSism governance in ICANN, various ccTLDs, etc are different, and very much not dominated by techies (the strength of MS processes in ICANN etc is getting techies, lawyers, pubic policy people, business folk in the same room talking directly). But the IETF model isn't even clearly a multi-stakeholder one (contributions from all stakeholders are welcome in the IETF, but they come as individuals not stakeholder representatives).

David -

  Both the RIRs and IETF often have "techies, lawyers, pubic policy
  people, business folk in the same room talking directly" when
  necessary... that is not unique in any way to ICANN.

  Regarding multistakeholder models, there are both "open" and
  "representative" implementations, with different strengths and
  weaknesses to each.  This came up in one of the IGF sessions
  today ("No. 41 Developing and effectively using Multistakeholder
  Principles", by APC & Government of Brazil & ICC BASIS & ISOC),
  and I'm not certain there is any merit in trying to label one
  as less multi-stakeholder than the other.

FYI,
/John

p.s. My views alone. (Luckily, I was selected as the official
     representative for the constituency of my views; it would
     have been kinda awkward otherwise... :-)