Oversight role (was Re: [governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 9 19:45:09 EDT 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:01 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> Correct. There is a very simple reason for that. It is that lawyers, politicians, and merchants do not technically scale to what could be supplied to match what should be demanded. The risk the statUS-quo pseudoMS Montevideo people fear is that Govts could multilateraly (an ITU digital infrastructure) support their lead users, i.e. digital society people who are technically able to intelligently use the internet resources without bothering about the so called "internet governance" :-)

JFC -

I don't know if your phrase "the statUS-quo pseudoMS Montevideo people fear..."
is actually a reference to ARIN, but on the assumption that it is, I can actually
make quite plain what the ARIN community "fears" are with respect to evolution of
Internet governance structures.  We have discussed potential changes in the present
model at our member meetings, and the concerns raised (indeed, with respect to any
potential government multilateral action) are the resulting risks to:

" - Continued innovation and evolution of the Internet
  - Open and inclusive contributions to policy debates
  - Consensus-based Internet number resource policies
  - User access, stability, and security "

   See ARIN website, center box <https://www.arin.net/participate/governance/index.html>
   See also <https://www.arin.net/participate/governance/inetgov_and_multistakeholder.pdf>

The ARIN community is _not_ confident that a government multilateral solution
can provide for administration of critical Internet resources without endangering
flexibility and innovation on the Internet, and nor that a government-led change
would actually provide for open, transparent and consensus-based policy development.
I have no objections to your noting the concerns in that ARIN community that might
come out of a government-led change, but do ask that you characterize their actual
fears correctly.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran