[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 9 01:46:16 EDT 2013

I am willing to take the technical community at its word on the
Montevideo statement that they indeed seek truly substantive progress
towards globalisation of ICANN and IANA function. There is also an
important clarification provided by John that "  we're all using the
term globalization to mean"free from one specific country's
jurisdiction/governance". Raul has also made a clear statement that
LACNIC supports "ICANN becoming an international organisation
incorporated under a convenient jurisdiction".

There are other good leads in ARIN's response to WGEC - like, technical
bodies are best guided under clearly set but relatively higher level
public policy principles ........

I think we may have a basis here to try to move forward. And this is a
very good time to do so, with global confidence in the Internet shaken
post-Snowden as perhaps never before. If people are to get a real
response, it is now.

Anyway, I can understand that actual working technical organisations,
with clear organisational responsibilities, and a place in the IG
ecosystem, would be conservative to actually begun making specific
proposals. I mean they cant perhaps do it in the same way as civil
society can. And here a good division of labour comes into picture.

So, what about civil society groups making a statement welcoming the
Montevideo statement, especially its commitment to seeing some
substantial progress forward on globalisation of ICANN and IANA
functions, and in this context, 'we present the following proposal for
the consideration and support of the technical community'.

The proposal would be made of some clear principles followed by specific
(though yet a bit higher level) institutional steps and processes for
globalisation of the ICANN and IANA. We can discuss these principles and
specific institutional changes on this list so that we have a statement
that is likely to be accepted by the technical community. If we can
agree to this and take a common statement to, well, the governments, I
think we would have accomplished a lot. I can bet, a real shift will
begun that day.

Any takers?

parminder