[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 9 03:00:14 EDT 2013

John,

Your principal issue with the Oversight Board we proposed is that - it
seeks to ensure that ICANN works as per international law and legally
developed policies, rather than, as you say is the present oversight
function, merely ensure that ICANN fulfils its mandate properly. My
response is as follows.

One, the new IANA contract seeks a public interest justification for any
root modification, and that directly puts IANA authourity holder - the
US government - in a position of making judgements over what constitutes
public interest, which is a much more unclear term, and open to
subjective interpretations, than seeking adherence to international law
and legally developed and communicated international policies etc. So,
if your bottom line is  - dont go beyond the current US oversight
function, I am fine with it. But in our proposal, we are being clearer
(and milder) than the current US oversight function is.

Second, I understand it is already ICANN's self-defined mandate to work
as per international law. Isnt it. We are just reinforcing it. I mean,
it should be something higher than the ICANN's own authority to change
this particualr mandate. They cant simply mandate themselves one day not
to have to work as per international law.

However, I am happy to change the language and role of the mandate of
the proposed oversight board to keep it as close to the current
oversight role as played by the US governemnt at present. we can put in
an agreed text , at a general principle level say, that the role of the
proposed global oversight board will be exactly as played by the US
governemnt at present in its oversight authority. That that work for you.

Lastly, you have a objection to the secondary advisory role given to the
same body (the proposed global oversight board) with regard to IETF and
other technical standards bodies. We, the group that proposed this
statement, strongly feel that the time has come that IETF kind of so
called open processes have some kind of an institutional international
advisory board that can regularly bring in public policy perspectives to
such bodies. We are very clear that this role is indeed strictly
advisory. This will also benefit the technical standards bodies a lot,
and so forth.

But for the present purpose, to get a consensus, we can entirely remove
the advisory role for such a proposed body from the mandate. And just
have a global oversight board with exactly the same mandate, role and
authourity as is exercised by the UG government with regard to ICANN/
IANA function. We can just agree to this particular language.

Meanwhile however I do remember that you have regularly mentioned - and
it appears in ARIN's response to WGEC as well - that technical community
will want clearly laid out international law and public polices, at a
relatively higher/ general level, and would welcome any effort in this
direction. A global oversight board, constituted properly, and
relatively insulated from political subversion, will be able to do
precisely that. Otherwise the canvass of international law and pulbic
policies can be too spread out and diffuse to make propoer sense to
those invovled with day to day technical operations pertaining to the
Internet. A properly constituted and mandated oversight board would in
fact do what you, and evidently, AIRN has been asking for - clear policy
frameworks, but any policy body staying at more than an arms length from
day to day operations. Such a pulbic policy interface is much better
than say the ad hoc interventions like those done by GAC at present,
completely dependent on the political muscle of the invovled
country(ies) but with no clear documented legal/ policy basis.

So that this proposed global oversight board does not abuse its
authority, and works within its narrowly circumscribed role, its
decisions should be subject to be appealed to with the Intenrational
Court of Justice, which should set up a special bench for Internet
issues of this kind. All this is easily plausible, given just a little
political will.

parminder