[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 8 19:50:39 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:43 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net<mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:

On Tuesday 08 October 2013 07:24 PM, John Curran wrote:
The clear, uniform call by these organizations for globalization of ICANN and IANA
a would call a truly substantial development.

Can you please point to where such a proposal/ call exists...

Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation, 3rd bullet -

"They called for accelerating the globalization of ICANN and IANA functions,
 towards an environment in which all stakeholders, including all governments,
 participate on an equal footing."

It is a _call_, not a _proposal_

Is there agreement on making ICANN an international organisation incorporated under international law and not US law, and free from all kinds of US jurisdiction, and in a host country agreement with the US government and so on.... That is what globalisation or internationalisation means..... I happy to support any such proposal from the technical community, and this can be basis of some real change.

Again, it is a call for globalization of ICANN and IANA functions, not a plan for
doing such...  I do believe that we're all using the term globalization to mean
"free from one specific country's jurisdiction/governance".

Opening a new office in Africa or China or India is not globalisation - even US has embassies in all these place, because of which US cannot be called as having been globalised or internationalised.

Agreed.

We have always been very forthcoming to present what we think it would look like (although always open to further comments and changes). For instance, see this recent statement to the WGEC by 46 organisations including ours,  http://www.itforchange.net/sites/default/files/ITfC/Statement_on_democratizing_Internet_governance_0.pdf  .  Happy to hear your comments on this.

Is the new "Internet Technical Oversight and Advisory Board" a component of
the 'new UN body', or an distinct entity?

For example, there is an "IANA Function Contract"...  how would one globalize the
'IANA oversight' function that is nominally provided today by the USG/NTIA?
See the above link...... Set up an international body that takes over this function with no accountability to the US, or any kind of US jurisdiction... Simple. What other way is there to globalise/ internationalise something ?

There are many different possible structures and mechanisms, for example,
you propose a new UN body, an Oversight Board, globalization of ICANN,
and maintenance/strengthening of the existing IGF.  I can easily imagine
other methods of solving this problem with different arrangements of bodies
and mechanisms.

The Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation does not
propose any particular solution, but only states that several organizations
which are involved in Internet coordination believe that the globalization of
ICANN and IANA functions (towards an environment in which all stakeholders,
including all governments, participate on an equal footing) is a goal worth
accelerating.

Given your strong expression of concern over the statement, I guess the
question arises - would you have preferred a statement which indicated that
the current USG oversight of ICANN and IANA is just fine?   That certainly
would have supported the status quo...

/John