[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Oct 9 01:07:36 EDT 2013

On 09/10/13 05:28, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
> My question then is, signing the declaration is the output of the Montevideo, a process that's  is not itself realized equivalent to an IGF, then how is all this even legitimate. Remember the legitimate eG8 summit and passing all IG related discussions to its appropriate forum, the IGF which remains a weak and yet evolving multi-topic discussion and non-binding policy discourse space?

I have to disagree (this may surprise some who see me as an opponent of
the technical community - which I'm really not).  It is perfectly
legitimate for stakeholder groups to make their own position statements,
provided that they are not put forward as being anything more than
that.  So, to continue your space metaphor, I welcome the Montevideo
Statement as a modest break from the position that everything revolves
around the technical community, and a sign that they are now reaching
out into higher orbits and perhaps accepting a less geocentric view of
the Internet governance universe.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.