Additonal issues RE: [governance] Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Oct 8 11:59:15 EDT 2013

I just sent off the following email to the ISOC mailing list because I read the item there first. It's a paper I did at the GigaNet meeting at the IGF in Lithuania.

If I may be so bold to share an article otherwise likely to be read only by my co-author and our respective mothers . . . .

I did an academic paper investigating this question: how far can "Internet cooperation" go? Is the goal/ideal (world peace, Internet-as-a-happy-family) we all seem to be aiming for realistic? It's to be published in Revue française d'études américaines in English. The paper was presented at the IGF in Lithuania. It's available at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8p9HJg2cUQ2a3dKdEg0MnljWDg/edit?usp=sharing and is especially helpful for those suffering from insomnia.

The paper has two parts. The first part uses a theory from Dani Rodrik, political scientist at Harvard, and he shows that there is trilemma in international cooperation. You have globalization, democracy and national sovereignty as competing interests. You can only have two out of the three. My paper concludes that governments will not give up on democracy and national sovereignty and so of the "trilemma", globalization will give. No entirely but what I call "think globalization". That is, globalization with a lot of national characteristics. Sort of like the English language. Different accents, different idioms, even different meanings for the same word. But recognizably English.

The other part on collaboration (i.e. Cooperation) was done by my colleague and she concluded that it was possible to have international cooperation. There will be some free-loading but it is possible overall.

In short, to encapsulate in a soundbite, it's "All for one but not one for all". All should aim for one Internet and in many areas it would be possible. But in many areas, it cannot be one Internet for all. Realistically, we have to allow for national variations and it is already happening.

Regards,
Peng Hwa
[cid:CEF8D22A-0A24-4037-9EB3-41C19EE1019A]ANG Peng Hwa (Professor) | Director, Singapore Internet Research Centre | Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information | Nanyang Technological University | WKWSCI 02-17, 31 Nanyang Link, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 67906109 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6792-7526 | Web: www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/sirc<http://www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/sirc>