Additonal issues RE: [governance] Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 14:29:32 EDT 2013

And John I think it is important to reiterate and emphasize your point below
"that multistakeholder cooperation (meaning the ability of all parties to
participate in an open and transparent manner) has worked very well for
technical standards and related registry policy, it is not apparent that it
suffices (at least unchanged) as we begin to look at the next stage of
Internet cooperation" because it is there that a lot of our colleagues and
others either willfully or out of awareness conflate the two processes.

The informal and collegial nature of MS processes among techies who have
worked together over long periods of time and who swap jobs and hats between
government, the private sector and academe has evidently been very workable
and successful in the narrow technical areas in which it has been operative
(although of course, the NSA revelations put brackets around this as does
the highly skewed nature of the socio-demographic nature of the participants
in these processes).

But the idea of very complex issues of governance, global governance, global
Internet governance, and global governance of the Internet are way beyond
anything that can be dealt with in such a "clubby", ad hoc and informal
manner and I believe it is either highly naïve or downright duplicitous to
argue the contrary.

The challenge as various folks have been suggesting for some time is to
figure out ways to achieve the range of inclusion (and including expertise
and interest/stakeholder representivity), decsion making close to those
being impacted by the decisions, and flexibility of processes of current MS
actvities while ensuring that the overall processes aren't captured,
subverted, misdirected in the specific interests of one stakeholder group or
even one stakeholder or another.