[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 8 10:20:36 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 6:50 AM, avri doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> And it was another chance for them to push ipv6. The sine qua non of any tech community statement.

Avri -

   You can blame me for that - we've got a problem with transition to IPv6
   which is likely beyond the ability of the technical community to solve...

   Simply put, we can't use just IPv6 to connect new customers/sites/users
   to the Internet until the vast majority of content is reachable via IPv6.  It
   is only once the vast majority of content is reachable via IP6 that it becomes
   a truly viable substitute for IPv4.

   So Google, facebook, youtube, msn, etc. have all added IPv6 to their public
   websites, as well as many public sector and private organizations.  In fact,
   we're at the point were even though only 2% of websites are enabled with
   IPv6, they are such significant sites that for many users, more than 50% of
   their traffic might be IPv6 today if they have a IPv4/IPv6 connection... (There
   are now broadband providers turning both up when connecting new customers)

   So, we need to remind folks that websites not connected with both IPv4 and
   IPv6 are not fully connected.   At some point, we may even need to seek the
   aid of governments to assist with the transition, as the consequences of not
   getting to IPv6 are severe.

   Note that the statement was not "use IPv6" or "connect new customers with
   IPv6", it was specifically that "Internet content providers must serve content
   with both IPv4 and IPv6 services"  If you have a website which is not served
   with IPv6 in addition to IPv4, then it is important (for the sake of the Internet)
   that you get that fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,
/John