[governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Oct 8 07:19:23 EDT 2013

On Oct 7, 2013, at 11:43 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> You say that the part "in truly substantial ways" makes the statement as really serious.... I would take it to be that - really serious - if they had but mentioned one clear instance of what would be such a "truly substantial way".

You would not consider the "accelerating the globalization of ICANN and IANA functions,
towards an environment in which all stakeholders, including all governments, participate
on an equal footing" to be truly substantial?

> Even if it was perhaps not possible for all the current signatories to sign off on any "real proposal" right away, can anyone here who comes close to being one among many representatives of the technical community propose an example of any such "truly substantial" change that technical community is now willing to consider, post NSA/ Snowden.

How can there be a proposal of "what should be next" without first having discussions
of same?  Your faith in "a real proposal" from the Montevideo signatories is appreciated,
but discussions so that "all stakeholders, including all governments, participate on an
equal footing" is exactly the type of discussion going on globally in places such as the
IGF, and there is no clear or even emergent consensus yet that I can discern...

/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.  No new Internet Governance structures are created via
                  this email.