[bestbits] Re: [governance] High-Level Panel Organizes to Address Future of Internet Governance

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 13:29:22 EST 2013

Jeremy,

I can understand your feeling, although I don't agree with your point.  I think you're assuming that if you don't have a equilibrated balance of vocal forces that represent UN-defined stakeholder groups in a group (in every group?) that the group lacks legitimacy.  I think that is a view based on antagonistic relationships between groups, and that it does not represent reality.  See my long post to the list of a few hours ago.

I've reviewed the list of panelists, and I see names of people who support a multiplicity of goals, including those expressed by the representatives of civil society in the vocal civil society groups within the multi-stakeholder framework.  Furthermore, this panel is only one of the sources of information and opinions that will go into the Internet governance discussions, both for the Brazil meeting and for the longer term.

I think that it would be more constructive for members of stakeholder groups to stress the end goals that they are for, and work with other representatives to seriously address agreements and differences, rather than to express negativity regarding process.

I agree with the sentiments in your last sentence below.  Let's focus on substantive issues.

George