[governance] [bestbits] civil society role in Brazil meeting

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Nov 20 13:01:35 EST 2013

On 17:39 19/11/2013, John Curran said:
>It is my understanding the 1net initiative is about catalyzing "a
>multi-stakeholder movement to develop

Dear John,

Please realize that an "MS movement" only means to lobby for a change
in decision mechanisms from "vote" to a "broad consensus". Nothing more.

This does not make an esthetic, ethic, doctrine, or strategy.
This does not even state who is concerned.

It only refers to new ways to manipulate smoke screens and how
lobbying is to be updated :-)

This is certainly important to the whole I* community business, but
as an Internet User I am not interested in the I*$ociety. I just
expect the internet laws and data transportation services to work. I
do not mind using an ITU IPv6 numbering plan if the IANA one faces a
palace coup. Nor to change TCP/IP to something more secure (btw why
are we not using SCTP so much?)

The concern is only that many competences and people, good
technicians, dedicated operators, enthusiast salespersons, and
professional managers depend on something which is going with the
wind in order to operate and provide a service that the humanity depends on.

The question is no longer "can this be enhanced and protected from
collapsing under a grassroots reaction": I am convinced that we have
passed that point. There is no doubt now that the existing internet
industry will change and that its current business and coordinating
structures will have to drastically reshape (it may take time as ego,
understanding and R&D hysteresis is strong, but things are now most
probably irreversible). Therefore, 1net & co are of no-interest,
except as a pool of people acquiring experience in a shallow context
and able to confuse and delay many people

The question now is how to prepare, support, and conduct as
efficiently as possible that grassroots reaction (and/or to
positively channel and canalize it)  for it to be as short, useful,
and productive for a better world development, and permit the largest
number of today's participants to serve in it and benefit from it.

jfc