[governance] High-Level Panel Organizes to Address Future of Internet Governance

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 05:02:38 EST 2013

+1 to J. Curran latest post here.

ICANN has no legitimacy to choose CS members ("representatives") to a group
they have decided to form? I don't get that. ICANN includes CS members,
doesn't it? What else is the ALAC crowd if not CS? And we've seen
non-commercial stakeholder group members making it from the GNSO council to
the Board, do they cease then being CS? I think we need to stop that kind
of complaining! What makes us more legitimately CS than others? Just
because we talk IG all days and all day long? It's like we are now assuming
that CS means professional CS, those making their living in or with CS
organizations, whereas the peasant who is not aware of your existence is
just as CS as you, just like any other citizen who may be aware of it but
doesn't engage with you or in this circle. Now, ICANN perfectly has the
right to bypass IGC+BB and choose CS from wherever to be part of a group
they initiate, whether from inside its community or from outside of it
(including the peasant, if they so desire.)

So please stop thinking that IGC and BB are the only path to "legitimate"
and "global" CS representation (or rather, inclusion) when it comes to
Internet policy. ICANN decided to form the strategic panels, we didn't.
They had their goals when they made that decision. So if this "high-level"
group just announced now stands in for the 5th panels planned, why should
we be surprised they decide unilaterally (after calling for an unrestricted
show of interest to be a member, mind you) on the membership, as has been
pointed out? If we had been producing some substantive outputs about
evolving IG etc., then someone would be paying attention and it would have
been understandably troubling for us to see that none of our effort is
being taking into account. ICANN or any other structure which has the
autonomy to act could include individuals who happen to be in these groups
(IGC and BB) but I submit that would be because those individuals may have
done some remarkable and relevant job somewhere (working groups, task
forces, etc.), certainly not just because of their membership here. CS
members broadly speaking are not that scarce to find outside here, you
know, and we don't represent as much as we think we do.

As a reminder, following is what I wrote in connection to this more than a
month ago in our discussion following the announcement of the "summit" then.