[governance] FW: [IP] The Battle for Power on the Internet Bruce Schneier

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Nov 2 16:23:19 EDT 2013

well, we all read things differently and have different opinions.

I thought the description of the evolution of internet usage and related security as a battle between individual elements, including rogue gangs such as Anonymous and cybercriminal groups, and slower moving but eventually more powerful users such as corporations and governments (described as feudal powers), was quite interesting. A couple of my favourite quotes for those who wont bother to read the article:

“Medieval feudalism evolved into a more balanced relationship in which lords had responsibilities as well as rights. Today’s Internet feudalism is both ad-hoc and one-sided. Those in power have a lot of rights, but increasingly few responsibilities or limits. We need to rebalance this relationship.”

“Data is the pollution problem of the information age. All computer processes produce it. It stays around. How we deal with it—how we reuse and recycle it, who has access to it, how we dispose of it, and what laws regulate it—is central to how the information age functions. And I believe that just as we look back at the early decades of the industrial age and wonder how society could ignore pollution in their rush to build an industrial world, our grandchildren will look back at us during these early decades of the information age and judge us on how we dealt with the rebalancing of power resulting from all this new data.”

Ian Peter