[governance] The danger of blindly trusting the technocrats

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Mon May 27 01:45:01 EDT 2013

+1. As one of those people with a practical and a policy background, I can
tell you how infrequent it is to come across anyone (from companies,
governments or civil society) who has commercial or practical expertise in
the areas they are a policy advocate for. It is a great shame and a direct
consequence is bad policy or spreading of misinformation.

And yes, I've experience plenty of the prejudices of the latter part of
your message. I understand people wanting to 'trust, but verify' as it
were. I don't understand the unvarnished bigotry and prejudice (which some
of you may remember directed at me by some a few months ago). Prejudice
applied to groups is a generalisation - not good, but understandable to
some extent. Prejudice applied to individuals is just wrong - and harmful
to all involved.