[governance] The danger of blindly trusting the technocrats

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun May 26 06:48:19 EDT 2013

On 26-May-2013, at 15:55, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <FC574C7F-8780-48F4-AC14-943AEB0E1692 at hserus.net>, at 15:29:34 on Sun, 26 May 2013, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes
>> Equally, people with purely a policy or political background are going to be just as poor in predicting consequences.  Either due to a lack of awareness of operational reality, or a skewed perspective, or both.
>
> Indeed, I thought that was already understood.

This caucus wouldn't be as contentious if that was the case :)

> As for being "tainted", I'm very sorry to report that recently one prospective client was nervous about my participation in this list, on the grounds that it might demonstrate that I was too much of a "sympathiser".

I'm sorry too.  For two reasons -

1. That the caucus appears to have that sort of a reputation among at least some sections of industry (possibly an earned one, or a completely unfair one, I wouldn't know unless I were them)

2. That your prospective client showed a lack of trust in you, and due diligence beyond "you're subscribed to this caucus"