[governance] Re: Geneva

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu May 9 05:51:12 EDT 2013

On 09/05/13 17:16, william.drake at uzh.ch wrote:
> On 09-May-2013, at 6:43, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>>> I'm only going to be able to make it for the first week (Geneva is so
>>> expensive!), but would be glad to get together with some other
>>> caucus folk
>>> while I'm there.  Regarding a joint statement, the Best Bits group is
>>> putting one together for the WTPF,
>
> Sure, but the more the merrier.  ITU staff and members have often
> cited the scarce responses in the few cases when they did do public
> comments as evidence that there's no real demand/need to  open up to
> civil society etc.  And a priori, one might think the caucus would
> want to respond to an intergovernmental statement on the conduct of
> multistakeholderism in Internet governance…
>
> BTW will the BB be signable by individuals and networks this time, or
> just organizations with paid staff?

Individuals too, but there was no such limitation last time either (at
least there wasn't meant to be, sorry if the wrong impression came
across).  Expect a link and call for endorsements tomorrow.

>>> You're aware though, I presume, that the reason why there is only
>>> one civil
>>> society submission is because the ITU is not receiving civil society
>>> submissions?  The only reason why the Brown/Doria/Nwakanma/Shears
>>> statement
>>> is up there is because they are members of the Informal Experts
>>> Group (IEG).
>>> I've written a statement for Consumers International (which is at
>>> http://a2knetwork.org/sites/default/files/wtpf_position_statement.pdf),
>>> but
>>> the ITU has refused to receive it.
>
> Yes, and one would think this is precisely the sort of thing that
> civil society could usefully make some noise about.  There are other
> avenues than official submissions.  But if it's no longer possible to
> things like make statements, organize meetings, etc., ok...

Yeah, the BB statement is actually focussed on this issue of
transparency and inclusion.  The IEG and CI statements are more about
the substantive issues.  In the absence of an official channel for
statements, I'm just going to be wandering around the ITU with a sheaf
of papers, looking for delegates to hand them to.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational