On talking about hypocrisy (was Re: [governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue May 7 03:15:46 EDT 2013

There are many ways to answer this question. And is in a range. With
lots of fudging...

There is a the generous view McTim espoused recently. Then the apposite
RPerry 'absurd and self-evident'.

Then there is the experience of Auerbach, MM Ruling the Root, and of
course 'if it aint broke don't fix it' to the 'you are crazy' - in
historical time of this list. /This of course is not technical, but
about how tendencies in 'groups' are projected/interpreted in the
POLITICAL realm./ Technically we know there was monovalent position on
CIR when as RP puts it was bivalent. We know the score :)

For technical definitions I think KR and DR and perhaps Auerbach may be
more up your alley, as I am not inclined to anachronistic views, and
revisionism. Auerbach's Cave Bear may still be one of the best
resources, if you are interested in a critical perspective. And as
Norbert changed the tenor here, so will just let sleeping dogs lie
regarding my personal experiences.

But by the 1rooter debate precedent was set by this in the IGC and it is
a flexibility I interpret to afford 'us' equal space to make claims in
which we are able to define 'the terms of the terms' of engagement. A
rather difficult and tedious process - intellectual diversity is
certainly not the IGC's forte.

There is /very little/ in common, despite what McTim suggests, in some
of the positions too - although with a legitimate structure a single
root would be less offensive (for instance MMs and McT's
internationalisation are definitely not how I see it - to bring issues
up to date the 'evolved 1 rooters' (and then some) and my kinda ilk).

Political lines are drawn rather clearly. I can't make you feel good
about your positions, nor can you about mine. That is just politics.

Riaz