On talking about hypocrisy (was Re: [governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon May 6 15:59:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Norbert
>
> After some of us have experienced the weight of the 'majority' (if not in
> always in specifics at an individual but in momentum, as McTim kindly
> bragged

I wasn't being kindly nor bragging, simply stating the truth, the vast
majority want at least loose coherence from the DNS.  I suspect you do as
well, which makes you a "single-rooter" too.

> about large single rooter percentages recently, giving us some
> countermajoritarian validation) there remain some issues. But there is a
> new tenor and it is working out well. So thanks for that.
>
> I think we can be less inflammatory (and I for one may well need
> correcting and guidance) but no less precise, but it needs some restraint.
>
> First, terms. Double standards are very apt. So is disingenuous. Once
> these are raised then...
>
> Second, because these may at first glance (or from a different
> perspective) this opens up the question of motive. Here especially some
> restraint is called for, but it is also tempting to drive a point home. And
> perhaps some co-co intervention at that point would be useful to keep
> language persuasive.
>
> Motive makes for difficult dialogue. For instance the allegation made that
> some of one ilk picked a fight because Gurstein was disappointed for not
> being selected.

I think the issue was that we shouldn't be telling others how to choose
their folk.

> Despite what this reveals about these making the accusation (I certainly
> was not acting in concert with others on this issue), it was not possible
> to discuss this.

but discuss it we did, and continue to do it seems.

--
Cheers,

McTim