[governance] Blogpost: Multistakeholderism vs. Democracy: My Adventures in "Stakeholderland"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 24 03:03:07 EDT 2013

Avri

I tried to begin putting up some real principles and guidelines for
civil society representatives selection. They were written informally,
and can do with a lot of corrections. More substantive changes can also
be introduced. So please make the required changes or propose a new
starting point for developing such guidelines.

What you have done instead is simply to employ a lens of ascribing, in
your own words, a 'gotcha mentality' to my efforts. And I take exception
to it. But since you made that ascription, let me also say that I remain
rather amused as well as distressed by the various efforts made here
which can be read as aimed at safe-guarding 'power' and the 'powerful' -
even if only within MS (multistakeholder) processes. This is
antithetical to both democractic norms and civil society values.

Process guidelines that are aimed at checking abuse of power have to be
written in manner that can always be called for a 'gotcha mentality'.
Read for instance civil services code of conducts in most countries. One
can easily say that they are written by rather suspicious-minded people.
But they are needed to be written in the manner they are written to
safeguard public interest. Parliamentary processes are also based on
close and thorough questioning of those who exercise power.

Unfortunately, government civil servants and politicians are not the
only ones whose conduct can hurt public interest. There is this very
problematic thing of seeing 'us of the MS world' as the 'good people'
and  other public actors as bad; and therefore 'we' do not need
accountability processes.

parminder