[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Mar 17 08:11:00 EDT 2013

Hi Adam

On Mar 17, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> It's clear that "technical and academic" is a stakeholder group in its
> own right, the UN GA said so:

So because the infinitely wise UN GA is well know to have a fine grained grasp of the internal organization, self identities, loyalties and perspectives of nongovernmental actors (?), we should accept a conflation of apples and oranges to which it probably gave a nanosecond of real thought?

Why not the Business and Academic Community? After all, some academics engage in for profit ventures etc…Just as arbitrary.

> World's moved on since Tunis, we should move on with it.

Well, with or against, but move

> If we have recommendations to make then make the generic.  And as the
> "technical and academic" community has now been clearly identified as
> a stakeholder group, it is reasonable to ask what "academic" means to
> avoid confusion with CS.

That would be a good starting point for a letter to CSTD—what does this category mean to you?  Then build on the inevitably inadequate reply to feed something up the food chain.  "Academic" is an albatross around the TC's neck, it does it no good and invites contention as we're seeing.  When something is blindingly inconsistent with empirical reality and is doing nobody any good, one would hope at least these conditions could lead to a correction.

BD