[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Mar 17 05:35:40 EDT 2013

hi,

It's clear that "technical and academic" is a stakeholder group in its
own right, the UN GA said so:

"21.	Requests the Chair of the Commission on Science and Technology
for Development to ensure that the working group on enhanced
cooperation has balanced representation between Governments from the
five regional groups of the Commission, and invitees from all other
stakeholders, namely, the private sector, civil society, technical and
academic communities, and intergovernmental and international
organizations, drawn equally from developing and developed countries;"

World's moved on since Tunis, we should move on with it.

Many of us have overlaps with other stakeholder groups but we choose
to participate through civil society: membership of ISOC,
participation in ICANN, association with the technical academic work
of building the Internet (whoever said "academic" in this context
might refer to the university networks that gave rise to the first
Internet networks, technologies etc, is probably right, but I'd also
suggest it is less relevant today), business trade associations, close
ties to governments. But, we choose CS, so let's stick with it.

Going to both the CS and tech communities processes to seek a
positions, double dipping, seems a bit sad (we have nominated people
from other groups before, but I think a bit different when it was CS
members who outreached to others.)

Our own procedures are far from perfect.  The last NomCom processes
have been far from ideal (not the function of the individual NomCom
members, thanks to them for tolerating the mess.)

If we have recommendations to make then make the generic.  And as the
"technical and academic" community has now been clearly identified as
a stakeholder group, it is reasonable to ask what "academic" means to
avoid confusion with CS.

Adam