[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 00:16:20 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a fine letter if what we want to accomplish is to piss off our
> natural allies in the WG.
>
> [ST>]I think that they are professionals and would not be pissed as it is
merely stating and asserting a position. Dialogue is critical and if the
letter can encourage dialogue to commence afterall championing a free and
open society by its very ethos demands that there is dialogue over issues
and concerns not matter how difficult the situation.

> IG should be done (and is done in the Technical Community) by
> coordination, collaboration and cooperation.  This letter is none of
> those things.
>
> [ST>]Coordination, collaboration and cooperation does not necessarily mean
the absence of having frank discussions on issues of representation etc.

> It's bad strategy, bad politics and the only thing it will do is
> provoke another SG group.
>

> If we do send this letter, then logically, we must also send a letter
> to the biz folk asking them to abide by the same process.  While we
> are at it, we should insist that the govs pick folk in the same way!

[ST>]I do not follow your logic. We are concerned about civil society
representation and ensuring that there is a wide dimension and breadth of
representation from civil society as discussions and dialogue on the issues
have consistently shown. If ever there was a time to raise this, it is now.
Even if our issues are sidelined, it is on record that we raised the
issues. We are not fighting people or personalities but addressing issues
which are of concern to us as it impacts on the how "our voices" are heard.

> We learned of the CS process 2 days ago, and while I think it was well
> done, I hardly think it should be held up as a model of openness and
> transparency (since we only learned of it after it had finished).
>
> The bottom line is that they aren't going to change their minds about
> who they pick, no matter how much we hold our breath and stomp our
> feet!
>
> [ST>]The issue is not so much about them changing their minds about who
they pick as it is about "principle".

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>
> wrote:
> > Following on from discussions in the main thread on this topic (I'm
> starting
> > a new thread to improve visibility), I have quickly drafted a letter that
> > outlines the concerns that a number of us have expressed:
> >
> > http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/isoc-letter
> >
> > You can make changes in-line, or you can make comments using the chat
> pane
> > on the right hand side.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dr Jeremy Malcolm
> > Senior Policy Officer
> > Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers
> > Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
> > Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> > Malaysia
> > Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
> >
> > WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
> > https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013
> >
> > @Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org |
> > www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
> >
> > Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
> > necessary.

> >      http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala