[governance] China's next-generation internet is a world-beater - tech - 10 March 2013 - New Scientist

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 13 01:19:30 EDT 2013

It is rather well known that multilateral agreements have a greater
chance of being based on higher norms and principles than are bilateral
and plurilateral ones, which are more oriented to narrower interests (pl
refer to the literature on FTAs).  Also, almost always, bilateral and
plurilateral agreements based on 'relative power' results in greater
gains for those who are more powerful, something which follows from the
preceding statement.

Accordingly, while specifics can vary with contexts, global civil
society has to make its considered value based choice whether it prefers
multilateral agreements or bilateral/ plurilateral ones when the issue
is clearly of a global import, like Internet governance is, perhaps like
no other issue. In all other areas of global governance, I see a
distinct preference in civil society for global agreements in preference
to bi/pluri-lateral ones, on issues ranging from trade and IP to climate.

While there certainly is this unique context of global IG about the
power of states vis a vis the global communication realm, and the
perverse political incentives than this issue brings in, civil society
still must aim for higher norms and principle based universalistic
agreements over narrow interests based opportunistic ones. Like Michael,
I am surprised and disconcerted that there is open advocacy in a civil
society group against such universalistic agreements in favour of narrow
interests based bilateral ones. The latter never serve the more
marginalised, whose interests progressive civil society should be
representing.

Remember, human rights instruments are also multilaterally negotiated
texts, something which was done at a time when a much smaller percentage
of countries were democracies then are today! In fact, I am often deeply
touched by the deep value based work that goes on in the multilateral
systems, for instance what I saw recently at a ECOSOC committee working
on access to scientific knowledge. Such kind of work stands out even
more when seen against the open and blatant private interest based
discussions and deal making that mark the so called loosely structured
private governance systems that dominate Internet governance.

What is happening at the larger social-structural level, and which I
consider as the greatest threat to democracy, is a clear move from
public governance, based on social contract, to private governance,
based on private, interest-based, contracts. And the shift is rather
systemic. It is obviously strongly supported, in fact instigated, by
global capital which finds the biggest challenge to its domination of
all aspects of our lives in the universal values of equity, fraternity
and solidarity, that underlie public governance systems.

parminder