[governance] Report from the IGF Open Consultations in Paris

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Mar 4 10:40:52 EST 2013

Dear all

I have been traveling and am in another meeting (in Mexico City) so have
not had time to follow up.Let me try to explain the backgroundto my
comments in theMAG meeting.

The proposal to finalise the theme based on interest and proposals from
the IGF community is not new.Proposals to delay deciding the final theme
until after workshop proposals have been received was madeand discussed
at the MAG meeting in 2012. It wasalso raised and discussed on the MAG
listin February 2013 before we convened in Paris for the MAG meeting.
Positions varied, with some people supporting the idea, and others not.
Someproposed a combination approach.

My proposal was that we start with general policy questions based on OC
input and then wait for workshop proposals before finalising the overall
'theme'. My reasons:

a) Therecommendation of the CSTD WG on IGF improvements is to build the
IGF around policy questions. The idea is that we frame the IGF based on
these policy questions identified at thebeginning of the process. This
is more or less what we did at last week's MAG meeting. Here is the
relevant text from the report:
"The IGF Secretariat and the MAG should reach out and continue to invite all
stakeholders to be more actively involved in the preparation of the IGF,
including by
identifying pertinent key policy questions around which main sessions
for the IGF
will be structured. In order to enhance the bottom-up process and to
facilitate the
identification of key policy questions, the Secretariat could also issue
the call for
workshop proposals before the first open consultation."

b) Much time is wasted by MAG members trying to synthesise an overall
theme and main themes. The format of MAG meetings does not lend itself
to finalising themes, or any other kind of 'text editing'. In the
process I have seen threedisappointing trends time and time again (I
have observed at MAG meetings prior to my appointment last year): (1)
the discussion stops focusing on the inputs received from the IGF
community (2) new themes are put on the table(3) the decision becomes
politicised and even more time is wasted, with the inevitable resolution
being to come up with a very vacuous 'contentless' theme.

In this process the excellent ideas that came up during the OC, and in
written submissions, and during the MAG meeting, is lost.

In 2012 1.5 days were spent debating the overall theme.

You just have to look at the overall themes to see howgeneral they
usually are, and how little real relationship they have with the content
of the workshops.

As for finalising the 'main themes'. We had some consensus themes, but
they were being diffused as the discussion was continuing and people
tried to 'tidy' them up by combining them.The secretariat was battling
to make accurate notes of the inputs.If we had broken into smaller
groups we probably could have come up with the policy questions around
which we can build main themes, but we did not, and I felt that keeping
the full list receivedfrom the IGF community was a better option than
continuing to find final agreement.

c) In general I feel that the primary role of the MAG is to process
inputs from the IGF community. Synthesising an overall theme based on
actual workshop proposals is quite a good way of doing this in my view.
And it is easier for a MAG discussion, or a political debateto be
grounded byworkshop proposals than inputs made during an OC process. I
had also suggested that workshop proposers should be asked what policy
questions they are addressing.

As for the outcome of the MAG meeting on 1 March.The report is not
terribly detailed, and I think MAG membersshould help the secretariat to
clarify next steps.

Nevertheless, my understanding is that the 'key-words'listed below will
be used in the call for workshop proposals. Your point about the SG's
call is taken Parminder. I think we should clarifythe list in the MAG
report (copied below), and try to get as close to a few core policy
questions as we can prior to the call going out. I think having this
list is better than having an overall theme (and we were heading that
way) which is so general that it saysnothing at all. I do think we can
come up with good main theme questions quite easily.There was strong
support for 'internet governance principles','human rights' and
'cooperation- multi-stakeholder processes etc.'. This is quite an odd
mix of issues.. and does needclustering.

-Science and Technology (In Internet) for Development

-Human Rights

-Internet Principles

-Enhanced Cooperation

-Multi-stakeholder Principles an Practices

-Internet as an Engine for Growth and Advancement

-Enhancing Multi-stakeholder collaboration for growth, development and
human rights. (Social and Economic Growth)

-Spam

-Cyber-security

- Internet Cooperation

- Building Bridges

- Enhanced Cooperation

- Transforming Internet to Equinet

- How to achieve an equal multi-stakeholder model

- Youth (internet for kids, child safety, etc.)

- Cooperation for growth, development, and human rights, best practices
for sustainable knowledge societies.

- Internet Exchange Points

- Cyber-crime

- Public Access

I hope this helps clarify my inputs during the meeting. I will respond
to Norbert's 'integrity' points in another message.

Best regards

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692