[governance] Why HTML5 #DRM is dangerous for Free Software (was Draft Statement...)

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:11:37 EDT 2013

Nobert, the example of offline purchase is again invalid in the DRM
context. Anything you buy online will always leave a usable trail -
credit/debit cards, bank transactions, any other means. So DRM in this
context brings in nothing new in the context of privacy 'loss'. Buying
books at a store or movies at a gas station with cash are always free of
this element - but anything you buy online will always be track-able even
without DRM. If you do disagree with this and believe DRM will bring in
tracking of ONLINE transactions, in a form that does not exist today please
give me a viable example of that.

As for CDM not working on your platform of choice - this is like the Xbox
game example right...? I like a racing game by the cover and choose to buy
it only to find I don't have the system required to play it. I have the
resources and capability to install the system that will let me play it,
but I *choose* not to for whatever reason so the game (or whatever) becomes
useless to me. Now this is a case for the jury but IMHO it's just a poor
assessment of usage feasibility before purchase.

It does happen where kids buy a 3D game without having a 3D
headset/eyepiece, and then don't want to buy one for 3x the cost of the
game - so the game becomes useless. Ebooks purchased on one site may not be
compatible with my reader, and I don't buy the Kindle (or whatever) needed
to read it - so the book becomes useless. I buy a windows game that doesnt
adequately work in a emulator/virtual environment - so again that's a poor *
choice* of purchase. *Not DRM's fault*. So these are not valid arguments
against DRM... :)

-C