[governance] Why HTML5 #DRM is dangerous for Free Software (was Draft Statement...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jun 14 21:53:18 EDT 2013

Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nobert, the example of offline purchase is again invalid in the DRM
> context. Anything you buy online will always leave a usable trail -
> credit/debit cards, bank transactions, any other means.

In the absence of DRM, it is at least possible for say me to buy it
on behalf of someone who lives in a country where it is dangerous
to be known to possess the (electronic or physical) asset.

> As for CDM not working on your platform of choice - this is like the
> Xbox game example right...? I like a racing game by the cover and
> choose to buy it only to find I don't have the system required to
> play it. I have the resources and capability to install the system
> that will let me play it, but I *choose* not to for whatever reason
> so the game (or whatever) becomes useless to me. Now this is a case
> for the jury but IMHO it's just a poor assessment of usage
> feasibility before purchase.

That is not the point that I was trying to make. I was talking about
the usefulness of Free Software operating system platforms
deteriorating when content (that is typically accessed by means of
general purpose PCs) can be accessed on all general purpose PCs except
for those where a Free Software operating system platform is used.

Now some people would think that when the choice is between the profits
of the “copyright industry” (Hollywood and others with similar business
models) being diminished and the viability of Free Software operating
systems for general purpose PCs being destroyed, the “copyright
industry” profits are more important. I disagree with them.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person