[governance] Why HTML5 #DRM is dangerous for Free Software (was Draft Statement...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jun 14 05:46:06 EDT 2013

Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think that it's very important that when cultural goods are sold
> > rather than shared freely, it must be possible to buy without the
> > “who bought what” information getting recorded in some kind of
> > database.
>
> I say this is already being done. Moot point as DRM is not the culprit
> here.

It is true that it is already being done quite independently of DRM for
example in the context of physical books bought from Amazon.

But physical books can also be bought in ways that do not involve
creating such a data trail. (At least as long as there is a physical
bookstore near where you are which has the book that you want in the
shop, and you pay cash, and you don't use a “customer loyalty” card when
buying it.)

That is not likely to be possible for DRM'd electronic books, videos,
etc. Hence I consider this issue a valid argument against DRM.

> > In my opinion, it is not plausible to expect the CDMs to be made
> > available for Free Software operating system platforms. (Doing so
> > would make it trivially easy to defeat what that whole architecture
> > with the CDMs is seeking to achieve.)
>
> Doing so will not prevent the FS community from utilizing the
> resources/material that have been rightfully purchased;

If I rightfully purchase something and get it in encrypted form, but
the relevant Content Decryption Module (CDM) doesn't run on the
computer that I use, that is supposed to be pretty effective in
preventing me from accessing the content that I've purchased.

> The key reason I'm against DRM is here:
[snip]

I agree with all of that.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person