[governance] A positive right to privacy in the most current version of Brazilian Internet Bill of Rights

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 03:39:00 EDT 2013

When the context changes so must the law. But there are dimensions that
are not fully captured... and it is perhaps relevant about thinking
about these rights in an exploratory way, even though law requires
precision:

Positive and Negative rights

Socio-economic rights tend to be negative defensive... that is the state
cannot take certain actions, like evicting people from land if there is
no alternative to them, rather than a positive duty to provide shelter.
This is a cold war relic in the formative years of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights and other treaties, positive rights being a
victim of McCarthyism, imho.

What is missing in the HR discussions is the issue commodification of
individual information as aggregated (kinda like database protection in
the EU). You/we are now the product for abuse by both companies and the
USG and other governments. LIbertarians hold that free contracting
individuals can enter agreements based on consent and that is the best
form of liberty, freedom to contract without government interference.
But when there is a unilateral change to the service companies terms of
service, or a change in its business model, this is a unilateral act,
may be made consensual, but creates negative externalities and creates
social costs that are dispersed affecting third parties - another
collective action trap, aggregated benefits for small numbers of BigData
providers and diffuse costs for many many other people. If privacy were
a right, this could be seen as a small expropriation... which is why I
reject the libertarian view of voluntrism.

Just recently the US court said that human genes cannot be patented.
Knowing how useless and permissive the US patent office has been in
granting low quality patents (spurring a real problem for US
communications and information systems businesses) this is a major
shift. So why can certain forms of data and information simply not be
"property" or commodified? And if it is property, why is taking/usurping
not viewed as a small expropriation or regulatory taking?

This implies of course that the shape/design of the technology and the
institutions (in broad sense) around it be geared toward this capability
of taking... should there be a social audit of what can be done to
improve the privacy and dignity respecting capabilities of the
technology? A social audit is essential since all indications are that
the USG is going to deliver a whitewash in oversight...

Have technical experts been rather lax at getting public interest issues
like this through governance arrrangemetns? And if they face impediments
in getting DNSec etc off the ground, should they nor reach out more and
build a constituency around it if their actions have not worked? Or
should we leave them in the technical realm...

Just because the USG spits on its own constitution and on the rights of
others does not mean that we have to acquiesce to the Guantanamofication
of the Internet. We should decolonise the imagination... technology can
be shaped by social consensus...

Great stuff Brazilians... years of US sponsored/supported dictatorships
seems to have bred a revived ethic... fabulous stuff!