[governance] Have there been any statements re: PRISM from the "technical community"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 11 03:56:22 EDT 2013

On Monday 10 June 2013 08:07 PM, Kerry Brown wrote:
> I don't know if this counts as the "technical community" but it does provide a plausible technical scenario.
>
> As an aside I am really getting tired of the us vs. them conversations. We are a community that is made up of communities. Many people have their fingers in many communities. There is a lot of overlap. Trying to reduce every conversation to sides is not useful and only causes division when we should be seeking unification and consensus.

It is not about general goodness and oneness of all people - all of
which is very well. This is about self identified political factions and
actors in the global IG space. A certain organised technical community
has vehemently self identified itself as a political actor in the global
IG space, and participates in all of its political activities with a
remarkably consistent, and one may observe, largely pro-US, political
stance. It is the response of this politically organised technical
community to the PRISM episode which was sought by Michael.... It is of
course not about just any techie making a comment on this issue. BTW,
Edward Snowdon himself is a techie, but that means little vis a vis what
we understand as the technical community in the political IG space.

This particular technical community, for instance, is very vocal about
the so called threat of a UN control of the Internet. Obviously then, it
is of interest to many to know its views on the US control of the
Internet. This political faction - the so called 'technical community'
-  cannot become selectively political, and then apolitical and
non-committal when it suits it, and also selectively 'concrete' and
precisely expressive and then suddenly, diffused and uncharacterisably
plural, when it suits it.....

BTW, the directors' note
<http://www.itforchange.net/sites/default/files/ITfC/AnnualReport2011-12/Annualreport_Directorsnote.pdf>
in the IT for Change's last annual report (2011-12) spoke of "the
spectre of a global cyber control room where big business and United
States government agents sit together, scrutinising and controlling the
minutest details of our world, employing the new global neural system of
ICTs."

It is almost literally borne out by PRISM revelations...... Apologies
for a bit of 'we told you' indulgence here...

Remember, the courtesy extends both ways - while the US based big
business helps further US's political interests, US government fights
globally on big Internet business' behalf for lax privacy laws, low or
no intermediary liability (even when it is otherwise justifiable) and in
general no regulation of global Internet business....

If we wish we can still remain blind to this patently manifest, by far
the, biggest power centre on the Internet, and consequently what should
be the most important target for public interest governance of the
Internet, and keep exclusively focussing our IG advocacies elsewhere.

parminder