[governance] Have there been any statements re: PRISM from the "technical community"

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 12:20:45 EDT 2013

Except that on this list it is fine to leave the public interest to the
tech community. We have had great difficulty in simply getting
acknowledgement that there is an intersection sometimes between the
technical and the political or public interest.

This is not about your post only, and is more about this list and
treatment of Norbert and historically folk who have been marginalised
(American cowboy style) like Karl Auerbach.

For me there is a meaningful way to go forward, as we all must, but
let's not pretend we share the same concerns or tactics. This list has
been largely dominated by a world view that sought to exclude many of
the issues that arose. Look at the aspersions cast at Michael Gurstein
regarding selection on a tech committee - personalised, sour grapes, but
nary anything about the lack of public interest issues adequately
represented. This is.was the kitchen philosophy we deal with parading as
civil reasoned engagement.

I am happy if people change their minds, but I am not a revisionist to
make it palatable for people who acted to block issues and now when
circumstances overtake them... G. Marx said, if you don't like my
principles, I have others... muhahahahaa.

Unity is based on a shared set of values subject to paradiastol. On this
list I will continue to maintain my scepticism of single rooters (as
evolved), US apologists and exceptionalists (witting or unwitting). No
internet regulation without meaningful representation. I take sides.
Happy to engage with reason - as always. The call to unity and not to
take sides is too coincidental. Let the tide go out, and we can see
those (who were warned) who are not wearing bathing suits. This is a
necessary process of credibility/analytical acumen. Why would you want
to block those whose analytic was more on target than those who served
you/us distraction or irrelevance? Did Norbert really mess up by
creating spaces for Third World perspectives?

Of course one needs to be practical, but do you even think that the IGC
could come up with a statement on this if we can't even agree that the
technical might be political? Or that concerns over whistleblowers who
reveal war crimes deserve some consideration on this list? Or that
companies in MS need to be treated as part of the estate but with equity
considerations for public interest? Or libertarians who take only state
power rather than the marriage of state and corporate power seriously.

I like to temper my idealism with reality. American's of course have to
watch out for the enemy within... i.e. whistleblowers... simple people
of conscience who will be forgotten once Kim Kardashian gives birth that
is...