[governance] Have there been any statements re: PRISM from the "technical community"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 10 12:40:43 EDT 2013

I'd like to try to rephrase the question:

Have there been public comments about PRISM from the community of
highly respected insiders of the core technical institutions of
the Internet such as ICANN, the RIRs, IAB, and/or from ISOC staff?

Greetings,
Norbert

** Acronyms
ICANN=Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
RIR=Regional Internet Registry
IAB=Internet Architecture Board
ISOC=Internet Society

Am Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:32:12 +0530
schrieb Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>:

> You broke your existing record here, parminder
>
> You do like to claim arbitration of who is, and who isn't, part of
> civil society, and use it to try and exclude the technical community
> from civil society on a wide variety of (mostly flimsy) grounds.
>
> Now you're trying to redefine "technical community" and exclude poor
> old Lauren from it?
>
> Not done. Really.
>
> And is Schneier not part of the technical community either?
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 10-Jun-2013, at 19:27, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>

> > Carlos
> >
> > Since Lauren often shows a very derisive attitude to ICANN and even
> > suggests that it may not at all be serving any useful purpose
> > excludes him from the specific technical meaning in which the term
> > 'technical community' is used in the IG space. With the term
> > 'technical community' one seems to now a days mean just those
> > who       are actively engaged in management of critical Internet
> > resources in some way (basically the extended ICANN system). So,
> > Lauren's can hardly be taken to be a statement from the 'technical
> > community' in that sense...
> >
> > parminder
> >

> > On Monday 10 June 2013 06:59 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> >> I've seen this statement by Lauren Weinstein, in which he says his
> >> acquaitances in the technical community would never condone or
> >> accept such intrusions... Take a look:
> >>
> >> http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/001043.html
> >>
> >> []s fraternos
> >>
> >> --c.a.

Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person
2. Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept