[governance] Boundless Informant: the NSA's secret tool to track global surveillance data

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 05:20:56 EDT 2013

Michael

Since McTim had asked me once how I would go about handling the 70 to
80% fo the "single rooters" (an appelation that I will continue to use
because the historical trajectory that brings us to some of your
questions), I thought I would discern some of the tactics that have led
directly or indirectly to this fork in the road (defending the
indefensible like 'single rooters' seems a lot easier than this spat):

1. Denial (of point made or its relevance).
2. Demands for evidence.
3. Obfuscation (sometimes even definitional), nuance (I don't fit in
that box, or don't put me in there because) or calling contradictions.
4. Collective attacks.
5. Appeals to higher authority.
6. Common cause made with conspiracy nuts (of course it is lost on some
that truth can be stranger than fiction).

But we should not forget adaptation, and it is great if people change
their minds when the facts change. But the test of that pudding is in
the tasting.

Can you believe that these kinds of issues were suggested to be labelled
as tangential?

Thanks for these excellent posts, comments and queries.