[bestbits] [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jul 30 04:42:38 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> In which case, though complaining to the list management, in my
> opinion, has a strong smell of "running to the teacher to complain",
> I am reluctantly compelled to request the co-cos to review
> Parminder's posts on this thread

As should be clear by now, nobody is going to get an official response
to "running to the teacher to complain" type of postings.

But it might be appropriate for me to make clear, in my personal
capacity, that I have carefully checked the specifics of what Parminder
wrote about that fund-raising doc against the document itself, in fact
in regard to both versions of the document. (The differences between
the two versions of the document are not relevant to Parminder's
criticism.)

Parminder's descriptions were accurate in regard to both versions.

It is in my opinion totally appropriate to be alarmed and cry
"scandal".

If that isn't done, we should expect things to get worse and worse and
it will in significant part be our fault for not having spoken out when
we should have done so.

The majority of responses in this threat so far have been either
seeking to downplay the issue, or are attacking Parminder for being
energetic in raising it, or both.

Like Parminder, I honestly don't understand how on earth anyone can
possibly care about democracy and not be alarmed about that
commercialization process.

If similar things have (on a smaller scale) happened at previous IGFs,
without official written documentation, that should not be a reason not
to react strongly at this point when it has been put in writing as an
official document on the host country website.

If this “civil society” caucus on the whole is of the opinion that a
strong reaction to the scandalous commercialization trend is not
warranted, and that on the contrary it is appropriate to criticize the
critic, then I'm going to seriously doubt whether I can with good
conscience continue to be associated with the IGC.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person