[governance] video available - Frank La Rue at New America

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Thu Jul 25 20:58:21 EDT 2013

Agreed with Deborah.

EFF is working on its own submission to the PCLOB with all the nuances
that a submission requires in a particular context (We are not
recruiting signatures, it's EFF own internal submission). Our internal
EFF process for submission approval is long and sometimes it could be
slow because it passes through many teams within EFF, and each team has
a huge amount of workload and their own timeline/schedule, and we get
positions by consensus : ). My colleague, Danny O'brien, EFF
International Director, is working on EFF international angle of the EFF
submission to the PCLOB.

The Principles are a legal toolkit based on international law, and does
not use an outrage language because it seeks to use a legal language. It
was developed (even before the leaks started) but was revised in light
of the leaks. I believe the NSA surveillance is in violation of many of
those principles, btw.

Best, K.