[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jul 11 01:42:35 EDT 2013

On 10.07.13 21:06, Chaitanya Dhareshwar wrote:
> Regional domain providers do make pretty decent investment in what
> they're selling - domains - which of course you're aware of - so in
> making infinite domain possibilities available does this not devalue
> the product? I may then have Me.India - registered independent of the
> ccTLD operator - and while I will still have a domain relevant to my
> region, the ccTLD operator loses out and they sell it less and less -
> do you really feel the ccTLD can retain its value in this scenario?

Yes. If any TLD retains its value, that would be first the ccTLDs, then
the specialized "value" gTLDs.

> Given you're associated with .BG you would know the possible impact of
> this better than me - if registrations for .BG drop and people prefer
> to take something like .Bulgaria or suchlike - you feel there's no
> effect, no loss and nothing to worry about, I do defer to your expertise.

We have seen different waves. There has always been the wave to register
domains in "alternative" TLDs, for various reasons -- at some time it
was price, at another there was the perceived less complexity, yet in
others they went for the anonymity (but then discovered that if nobody
knows who you are, you don't really "own" anything). Most often it was
"My cousin's young son knows computers, let him chose". At one time the
.eu domain came and that more or less coincided with the EU membership
of Bulgaria so we saw a "big" rush to get .eu names.
The litmus test for me is this: the .BG domain is very small, by any
measure (number of domains). Yet, when you walk the streets, or watch
advertisements on TV etc, you almost always see an .bg domain name
advertised.

I can't see many people prefer an .bulgaria or say, .sofia domain
instead of .bg -- unless perhaps if they are offered one "for free". In
which case, yes, they will get it... and keep their .bg name. Not in
near future and not if we continue to keep our domain stable ground.

Daniel