[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:06:09 EDT 2013

"Virtual realities" - Let's not even go there - we've watched enough star
trek to understand how that could work.....

As for other parallel roots, again not relevant here since we're
specifically talking about something to do with ICANN, and not debating
alternate possibilities.

Regional domain providers do make pretty decent investment in what they're
selling - domains - which of course you're aware of - so in making infinite
domain possibilities available does this not devalue the product? I may
then have Me.India - registered independent of the ccTLD operator - and
while I will still have a domain relevant to my region, the ccTLD operator
loses out and they sell it less and less - do you really feel the ccTLD can
retain its value in this scenario?

Given you're associated with .BG you would know the possible impact of this
better than me - if registrations for .BG drop and people prefer to take
something like .Bulgaria or suchlike - you feel there's no effect, no loss
and nothing to worry about, I do defer to your expertise.

Best,
-C