[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:55:54 EST 2013

'tis a pity that the reposte to a claim for legitimacy in the governance
of what is now a global resource is the same or similar to the Global
War on Terror - 'they hate our freedoms'.

It is nothing like that at all, the claim to legitimacy is a value in
and of itself. Some may feel this is not important, and others not. We
can agree to disagree. And the blithe anti-Americanism is not quite
that, it is kinda like a Boston Tea party saying no taxation without
representation... if that is anti-British, then so be it... but the
point is far more subtle than it is made out to be... And some of us
third worldists do reserve the right to determine the terms of the terms
of the debate... and if aint broke dont fix it nor impossibility does
not cut it... despite US support for Apartheid in my country, black
people won their freedom, and so did Rosa Parks....

There are numerous instances of problems with current arrangements, but
the Cavebear (Karl Auerbach)  speaks to that more eloquently than I ever
could, but for instance the conflation of web addys with intellectual
property rights for instance - kind of like a lex mercatoria, making law
in the absence of law.