[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jan 25 13:16:49 EST 2013

Koven Ronald <kovenronald at aol.com> wrote:

> In what, precisely, does the "yoke of US's oversight" consist ? May
> we have concrete examples, please, of the exercise of this yoke ?

One example is the Rojadirecta case, in which U.S. Immigration and
Customs Enforcement (ICE) took down, by means of a simple warrant
(obtained domestically within the U.S. without any need to involve
Spanish authorities), a Spanish website directed at customers in Spain
even though that website had been judged, by Spanish courts, to be
legal according to Spanish law.

I'm a European, and that kind of thing upsets me. Does that make me
guilty of "Anti-Americanism"? I don't think so. I think that it is more
accurate to call me a human rights advocate. The right of peoples to
democratic self-government is after all an internationally recognized
human right, no matter which government violates it.

Greetings,
Norbert