[governance] 3rd meeting of the WTPF Informal Expert Group (IEG)

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jan 24 07:56:08 EST 2013

Hi Nnena and Suresh

As I said previously in response to Jeremy

On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:24 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> The US State Dept. held a long call yesterday preparing for the WTPF Informal Group of Experts meeting 6-8 February.  Among the things we discussed was the draft report's game playing with regard to multistakeholderism, e.g. the conflation by definition of MS and the "WSIS model" of MS, the assertions that the ITU is thereby fully MS, etc., and there was agreement that these concerns should be raised in the IEG with an eye to the next round of edits.  As to CS being left out of the current governance of the Internet, if you could specify which institutions and issues you mean and maybe even suggest a sentence, this could be raised as well on next week's call.
>
> If anyone can be in Geneva then, I'd encourage applying to join the IEG.  There's been no CS participation, and while ITU approved me it looks like I can't change a flight to attend.  There's a number of points in the draft report where independently stated CS perspectives would be helpful.  This is even more true of the draft Opinions that will be negotiated at the WTPF itself (including the Saudi proposal putting ITU in charge of enhanced cooperation), although these apparently won't be dissected in the IEG in detail.
>
> BTW I still think IGC and other CS networks should write a letter to ITU seeking the right to participate at the WTPF without having to do the staff vetted beauty contest...

Would definitely encourage anyone who can be there to apply, and for CS to consider saying something encouraging open WTPF participation.  I assume a lot of folks will be in town those two weeks in May for WTPF, WSIS Forum, and the IGF consultation/MAG, and it not be ideal if ITU makes participation difficult compared to what everyone's used to.

cheers

Bill